Scientific Publications- Gadi Heimann:
Books and Edited Volumes:
1. Gadi Heimann, Franco-Israeli Relations, 1958-1967, (London: Routledge) (forthcoming 2017).
2. Gadi Heimann, The End of a Beautiful Friendship? France-Israel Relations under De Gaulle's Presidency (Jerusalem: Magness, 2016) (in Hebrew).
3. Gadi Heimann (ed.), New Perspectives on the History of International Relations (Jerusalem: Leonard Davis Institute, 2013) (in Hebrew).
4. Gadi Heimann, "Divide and Rule: isral Tactics Regarding the Jerusalem Question, 1949-1950" Cold War History
5. Gadi Heimann, "The EEC Commission and the Negotiation for a Trade Agreement with Israel", Journal of European Integration, (forthcoming 2017). (
6. Guy Harpaz & Gadi Heimann, "Sixty Years of EU-Israeli Trade Relations: The Expectations-Delivery Gap", Journal of World Trade (Forthcoming June 2016) (J
7. Gadi Heimann, "A Case of Diplomatic Symbiosis: France, Israel and the French Colonies in Africa, 1958-1962", Journal of Contemporary History, Vol. 51, No. 1, (2016), pp. 145-164.
8. Gadi Heimann, "The Struggle between the United States and Israel over Recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's Capital, 1952-1967", International History Review, Vol. 37, No. 4, (2015), pp. 790-808.
9. Gadi Heimann, "The Need to be a Part of Europe: Israel's Struggle for an Association Agreement with the EEC, 1957-1961", Israel Studies, Vol. 20, No. 1, (Spring 2015), pp. 86-109.
10. Gadi Heimann, "What Does it Take to be a Great Power: The Story of France Joining the Big Five", Review of International Studies, Vol. 41, No. 1, (January 2015), pp. 185-206.
11. Gadi Heimann, "From 'Irresponsible' to 'Immoral': De Gaulle's perceptions of Israel and the Jews", Journal of Contemporary History, Vol. 46, No. 4 (2011), pp. 897-919.
12. Gadi Heimann, "From Friendship to Patronage: France-Israel relations, 1958-1967", Diplomacy & Statecraft, Vol. 21, No. 2 (Summer 2010), pp. 240-258.
13. Gadi Heimann, "In search of a Route to World Power: General De Gaulle's the Soviet Unionand Israel in the Middle East Crisis of 1967”, International History Review, Vol. 32, No. 1 (March 2010), pp. 69-88.
14. Gadi Heimann, "Diverging Goals: The French and Israeli Pursuit of the Bomb," Israel Studies, Vol. 15, No. 2 (Summer 2010), pp. 104-126.
15. Oded Lowenheim and Gadi Heimann, "Revenge in International Relations", Security Studies, Vol. 17, No. 4 (Winter 2008), pp. 1-40.
16. Gadi Heimann and Oded Lowenheim, "Revenge and the Israeli Campaign in the Second Lebanese War", Politika, Vol. 17, (Winter 2008), pp. 97-110 (In Hebrew).
Chapters in Collective Volumes:
17. Gadi Heimann, "Israel, France and the Jerusalem Question", in Gadi Heimann (ed.), New Perspectives on the History of International Relations (Jerusalem: Leonard Davis Institute, 2013) (in Hebrew), pp. 34-49.
18. Gadi Heimann, "A Hot Summer: France, Israel and the Middle East Crisis in 1958", in Christian Nuenlist, Anna Locher, Garret Martin (eds.), Globalizing De Gaulle: International Perspectives on De Gaulle's Foreign Policies, (Rowman and Littlefield, 2010) in the Harvard Cold War Project book series.
Scholarship (Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 2019).
List of main publications:
Peaceful Territorial Change (University of South Carolina Press: Columbia, SC, 1994).
"Explaining Zones of Peace: Democracies as Satisfied Powers?", Journal of Peace Research 33: 265-276.
Zones of Peace in the Third World: South America and West Africa in Comparative Perspective (Albany, NY: SUNY Press, 1998).
"Regionalization, Globalization, and Nationalism: Convergent, Divergent, or Overlapping?", Alternatives 24: 527-556.
"Rashomon in Jerusalem: Mapping the Israeli Negotiators' Psotion in the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process, 1993-2001," International Studies Perspectives 6: 252-273.
Stable Peace among Nations [co-edited with Yaacov Bar-Siman Tov, Ole Elgstrom, and Magnus Jerneck] (Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2000).
The Impact of Norms in International Society: The Latin American Experience, 1881-2001 (Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 2005).
"Global Governance, International Order, and World Order," in David Levi-Faur (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Governance (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012), pp. 686-698.
Globalization and the Distribution of Wealth: The Latin American Experience, 1982-2008 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013).
Routledge Handbook of Latin American Security [co-edited with David Mares] (London: Routledge, 2016).
"Regional Security Governance" [with Galia Press-Bar-Nathan], in Tanja Boerjel and Thomas Risse (eds.), Oxford Handbook of Comparative Regionalism (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016).
"Why Don't We Have Coherent Theories of International Relations about Globalization?", Global Governance 22 (2) [with Mor Mitrani]
A. Peer-reviewed Publications
The Six-Day War: The Breaking of the Middle East, (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2017)
Origins of the Suez Crisis: Postwar Development Diplomacy and the Struggle over Third World Industrialization, 1945-1956, (Woodrow Wilson Center Press / Johns Hopkins University Press, 2013).
"'Logic dictates that they may attack when they feel they can win': the Egyptian Army, the 1955 Czech-Egyptian Arms Deal and the Israeli Intelligence, 1955-1956," Middle East Journal, (Winter, 2009).
"Playing with Fire: the Soviet-Israeli-Syrian Triangle, 1965-1967," Cold War History, (May 2010).
"Stepping Back from the Third World: Soviet Policy toward the United Arab Republic, 1965-1967," Journal of Cold War Studies, (Fall 2010).
“Surveying the Revolutionary Arc,” Roundtable Essay, International Journal of Middle East Studies, Vol. 43, No.2, (May 2011), pp. 323-325.
“Semi-Peripheral Countries and the Invention of the “Third World,” 1955-1965,” Third World Quarterly,(November 2014).
"The Domestic Sources of Israel's Decision to Launch the 1956 Sinai Campaign," British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, (2015).
"The Cold War in the Arab World, 1965-1969," in Lorenz Luthi, ed., Turning Points in the Cold War, (Washington, D.C. and Stanford CA: Woodrow Wilson Center Press and Stanford University Press, 2015).
B. Other Essays
“Cutting the Gordian knot: The Post WWII Egyptian Quest for Arms and the 1955 Czech Arms Deal”, Cold War International History Project, The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, working paper #55,(Washington, DC, February 2007).
“Goldman Sachs Faces Test Years After Memos Touted Now Faltering Economies,” The Guardian, 13 September 2015.
“The Bubble of Emerging Markets Pops,” History News Network, 27 August 2015.